How to make train reservations online in India
Step by step instructions for online reservations on Indian Railways
Tourists and businessmen traveling within India now have the facility of making reservations for travel on trains during their visit to India.
There is no need now to rely on agents and paying premiums for train tickets or lining up at railway stations for purchasing train tickets on Indian Railways.
Reservation is Available between Indian Standard Time 5.00 and 23.30 Hours Greenwich Mean Time 23.30 and 18.00 Hours
Sunday's Reservation is Available between Indian Standard Time 5.00 and 23.30 Hours. Greenwich Mean Time 23.30 and 18.00 Hours
How to make train reservations on the internet for trains in India
Step by step instructions to make online train reservations:
1. On the internet visit the Indian Railways online booking webpage.
2. Create a username and password if you are new to the site. Registration is free.
4. Once logged in the screen a form titled 'Plan My
Travel and Book Ticket' to select your travel itinerary
appear. Select stations of travel, dates of travel, class of ticket required and type of ticket. (Sample form
5. Next you will see a form showing the various trains that
match your chosen stations. Select the train you wish to travel on. (Sample
6. Once the train has been selected you will see a form titled 'Ticket Reservation' where you provide the passengers information and select the seating of your choice, for trains where meals are included in the ticket price, select your choice meal preference. (see sample form below)
7. The next form you see shows your reservation details and offers you the opportunity to check your reservation details and pay for your ticket. (See sample form below)
8. Next you are taken to a page to select the credit card you wish to use. For the sample form below I selected the American Express credit card. Once a card is selected a form to fill in your credit card information is provided. (See sample form below)
As of March 10,2012 reservations for train tickets on Indian railways can be made 120 days in advance of the travel date. Please note that I-Tickets are mailed to your Indian Address. If you do not have an Indian address then make only E-Ticket reservations as E-Tickets are not mailed out but can be printed on your computer.
When using E-Ticket one needs to carry a photo ID that is specified at the time of reservation along with a self printed copy of your E-Ticket. The forms shown in the samples are for E-Ticket reservations. More information on Indian Railways and train travel is provided on our train reservation page.