How to Make Samosa - Indian Cooking
Samosa is one of the most popular snack in India. The popularity of Samosa's has caught on in many western countries. Many westerners shop the Indian and Pakistani restaurants in their neighborhoods for samosa's.
Making Samosa is quite easy and requires two main steps. First make the dough for the pastry and then the filling is inserted in the dough shaped like a samosa and fried in hot oil.
Ingredients required to make samosa
√ 1 Cup all purpose flour
√ 2 tsp Butter
√ 1/2 Cup chopped onions
√ 1 Cup boiled, peeled and chopped potatoes
√ 1/2 Cup green peas
√ 1 Green chili (optional depending on taste)
√ 1/2 tsp Ginger (optional)
√ 1/4 Cup chopped cilantro leaves
√ 1/2 tsp Red chili powder
√ 1/4 tsp Baking soda
√ Salt to taste
√ Oil for deep frying
Cooking Instructions For Making Samosa
- Boil, peel and chop the potatoes.
- Make a liquid of water and all purpose flour in a
- Take two tablespoons of oil in a pan and heat it.
- Add onions and chopped green chilies to it.
(green chilies are optional, depends on how hot you want your samosa to be.)
- Add green peas to it after frying for two minutes.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes and add ground ginger, salt, red
chili powder and chopped potatoes as the final ingredient.
- Mix above ingredients well after turning off the heat.
- Mix up all purpose flour, salt, baking soda and butter
and make strong dough.
- Make small balls of the dough and roll into thin
circles of 5-6 inches.
- Cut into half with the help of knife.
- Smear liquid of all purpose flour and water on the
sides and shape into cones.
- Fill the cooked potato mix in the cones and close the
- Now heat the oil in a frying pan and when it is hot
enough, put the samosa's in it. (Do not put samosa for frying
when oil is not hot enough or oil will be soaked by samosa and
ruin the taste. Oil must be hot before
frying the samosa.
- Fry them on medium heat till they turn golden brown.
- Samosas are ready to be served. Serve hot with sauce or chutney.